Director of Hardware Engineering
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard.
If you haven’t already, check out our video on glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll notice something amazing: Glowforge is the largest crowdfunding campaign in history. There is incredible demand for what we’re creating. It’s not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we’re crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity. Our customers include consumers, digital designers, crafters, engineers, teachers, artists, and more.
Why We Need You
We have an unbelievably talented team hailing from the greatest tech companies and startups in the world, from Apple to Tesla. We owe it to them to provide a brilliant, strong, and caring leader who can help our engineering team thrive and grow.
Our hardware products span an incredible range of technologies, from optics to robotics to filters to injection molding. Our customers are everyday consumers who want a device of unparalleled power and simplicity. That means they expect and deserve a product that weaves all of these divergent technologies together seamlessly. You’re the engineering leader who can make that happen, so the whole of our products is so much greater than the sum of the parts.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
- You’ll lead and grow an amazingly talented Electrical and Mechanical Engineering team to deliver Glowforge hardware.
- You’ll work closely with your colleagues in manufacturing, product, and supply chain to deliver amazing, high quality, high value products to our customers.
- You’ll help our engineers improve performance, deliver new features, and reduce cost - by management, mentorship, and leading by example.
- You’ll work with the research, product, software, marketing, operations, and other teams to develop the priorities, products, and designs that will drive our products forward.
You need these qualifications
- You have a minimum of a BSEE, BSME or equivalent relevant experience.
- You’ve built, grown, and lead engineering teams that shipped products people love.
- You truly enjoy managing, mentoring, leading, and working with an engineering team.
- You love shipping products.
- You’re passionate about developing and improving designs and processes that delight customers.
It would be nice if...
- You have experience at startups and big companies.
- You have experience with consumer electronics.
- You identify as a do-it-yourself-er, crafter, maker, artist, or designer.
- You have high volume manufacturing experience.
- You’ve delivered multiple generation 1 products.
Send us a resume or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. If a resume isn’t handy, a LinkedIn profile or personal website is fine.
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.