Director of Data
Seattle, WA - Full-timeApply to this Job
At Glowforge, we help people bring home the future and make it their own. Our printer uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard. Take a look and see for yourself.
We build magical products to delight our customers, and we do it while taking care of each other. We hire people who are outstanding at what they do, who thrive in tight-knit teams, and who want to make things that make a difference.
Together, we've built a product we're incredibly proud of, and the reward has been incredible growth.
We work together because we believe in the power of creativity. We believe we can bring about a future where anyone can print anything.
We'd love to have you join us.
This is a full-time role in Seattle and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
Why We Need You
Our company is growing fast. We’re generating enormous amounts of data – from our advertising, website, manufacturing, logistics, our customer-facing app, subscriptions, and the operation of Glowforge printers, among others. We have a team of engineers devoted to bringing that data into our BigQuery warehouse and supporting internal tools and analysis throughout the company. We’ve made strides in making all of that data accessible and using it to drive great decisions.
Now we’re ready for the next big step! With your guidance, we’ll grow our data science capability and use that capability to move faster and smarter in all aspects of our business.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
Come lead the transition to a company where data is at our fingertips and optimizes our decisions so that we can continue delighting our customers and growing our business. More specifically, you will:
- Hire and lead data scientists, analysts, and data engineers that analyze and model all aspects of the business.
- Lead the team of data engineers that create our fundamental data infrastructure.
- Roll up your sleeves and do modeling and analysis while you grow your team.
- Work with stakeholders to identify and execute on the highest value data projects.
- Make pragmatic tradeoffs between rigorous analysis and the need to move quickly.
- Support a culture of self-service access to data, and identify the tools that enable it; help stakeholders to use their data wisely.
- Educate the company about how to use data effectively. Be an evangelist for the correct uses of data and make us all smarter about how to consume it and when to be appropriately skeptical.
You need these qualifications
- Broad knowledge and perspective on data science. You should know when to use a simple regression and when we need cutting edge techniques.
- Proven experience with startups who are moving from the early stage to high growth.
- A minimum of 10 years experience in data science, and a minimum of 5 years managing people
- People who have worked for you say you’re one of the greatest managers they’ve ever worked for, and want to come work for you again.
- A 4-year degree or equivalent experience.
It would be nice if…
- You’re a passionate creator yourself and are experienced with tools of any sort - crochet hooks, milling machines, lasers, or scissors.
- You stay abreast of the latest algorithms in data science and machine learning.
Send us a resume (with a cover letter) or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. We can’t wait to meet you.
There's one more, very important thing. We are an equal opportunity employer. We search for amazing people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We take care of each other to create an inclusive work environment where we love to come to work every day. We'd be happy to provide reasonable accommodations to help you apply - just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope you can join us.