Lead DevOps Engineer
Seattle, WA - Full-timeApply to this Job
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard.
If you haven’t already, check out our video on glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll notice something amazing: Glowforge is the largest crowdfunding campaign in history. There is incredible demand for what we’re creating. It’s not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we’re crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity. Our customers include consumers, digital designers, crafters, engineers, teachers, artists, and more.
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
Why We Need You
One of the unusual things about the Glowforge architecture is that we moved many of the hard engineering problems from hardware to software. Our cloud service does the heavy lifting for features like alignment and autofocus, making what was once a tedious and error-prone process delightful and simple to use. It also makes it dead easy to diagram, draw, or doodle your invention and print it directly to wood, acrylic, fabric, leather, or paper. We rely on multiple web services to bring this functionality to our users, and our focus is on making the overall product as reliable as a cloud service can be, while gracefully recovering from any errors that may occur.
Our team is composed of software generalists and we know that you’re one too, but we particularly want your passion and thoughtfulness around operations, deployments, and automation. At its heart, our customers’ Glowforges are their tools. Tools are used daily when they are reliable and trustworthy, and abandoned when they’re not. You will make Glowforge magnificent. Your expertise will elevate the experience from “flaky web-connected gadget” to “life-changing innovation”.
While this role is written for someone with a four-year degree and several years of industry experience, if you’re great at what you do and excited about what we do, we want to talk to you — whether you’re brand new to the industry or you’ve been a veteran architect for decades.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
- First and foremost, any task that helps us create an amazing product for our customers — which will include stretching your coding skills in new directions and pitching in when your colleagues need help.
- Ensuring our deployments, testing, and continuous integration infrastructure let us build great software faster, without our customers ever noticing the seams.
- Showing the rest of the software team how our services can be adequately deployed across multiple environments, including development, staging, and production.
- Managing permissions for and distribution of critical secrets (e.g., SSH keys, SSL certificates, and API access tokens) to protect organizational and customer information.
- Building the software to fabricate the future – not just another CRUD app.
You need these qualifications
- You write copious amounts of thoughtful, high-quality code.
- You’ve been responsible for automating the continuous testing and deployment for a shipping product.
- You’re excited about being personally responsible for making Glowforge successful, and because this is a startup you’re comfortable navigating ambiguity, adjusting to changing priorities, and moving confidently with limited guidance.
- You’re passionate about topics like virtual machines, software containers, microservices, system monitoring, and automating all the things.
- You know what it takes to ship great software on time and still know that you sometimes have to make some tradeoffs to ship quickly.
It would be nice if…
- You’re proficient with Google Cloud and have made use of a wide variety of their services and APIs.
- You’ve utilized some standard automation framework like Chef or Puppet to manage deployments.
- You’re competent with Docker and related technologies, like Kubernetes, Docker Machine, and Docker Compose.
Please send us your resume, plus something so we can get a sense of your work. For example, we’d love to see your Github profile.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.