Seattle, WA - Full-timeApply to this Job
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard. If you haven’t already, check out our video on glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll notice something amazing: Glowforge is the largest crowdfunding campaign in history.
There is an incredible demand for what we’re creating. It’s not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we’re crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity. Our customers include consumers, digital designers, crafters, engineers, teachers, artists, and more.
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this alluring city.
Why We Need You
From facebook ads to blog posts, emails to… well… job descriptions, the written word is our favorite way of connecting to the people who matter most to us - our customers, both present and future. Our company exists solely because of their passion, delight, and creativity. You’re that conduit between the magic that we’re building and the incredible people who will make our company thrive and grow.
Your words connect us to our future.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
Our company is constantly in search of the best way to communicate. Your home will be the Growth team, where you’ll be constantly experimenting with the right words to excite and inspire our future customers. You’ll take our brand voice as a start, and then experiment to take it to new levels.
You’ll have top notch analytical tools at your disposal, so you can continually learn. What headline catches the eye? Which copy engages the reader? Which story moved readers the most? You will hone and refine your craft, while testing crazy and bold new ideas.
Behind it all, you’re a student of human nature. You are thoughtful about what people love to read and what makes them wrinkle their noses. You read great marketing copy and beam at the masterful handiwork of the person behind it, you read bad copy and are tempted to rewrite it yourself on general principle.
You noticed the error in the previous sentence. You always notice the errors. They drive you nuts.
More practically, you'll be...
- Sharing our stories across an enormous variety of media, from long form blog posts to postcards
- Developing compelling and inspiring content that drives sales
- Rewriting, rethinking, and otherwise improving existing copy
- Testing and learning from everything you create, using the data to become better at connecting with the people who care about us
- Taking personal responsibility for embodying the company’s attitude, spirit, and values in the text you write for the world
- Based in Seattle (and we love to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city)
You need these qualifications
- You have a bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or a related field or equivalent experience
- You love writing, and do it both for work and for fun
- You have a portfolio (or blog, or twitter account) with writing that accomplishes a goal - of getting clicks, laughs, appreciation, or something else
- You have direct conversion copywriting experience that has effectively lead to sales
- You have experience writing both long-form copy (like blog posts and emails) and short-form copy (like ads and website microcopy)
- You are deeply, personally excited about what we’re creating at Glowforge
It would be nice if...
- You have startup experience
- You are a social media maestro, and have demonstrated the ability to build a big following online
- You have written in a broad variety of voices and styles
- You have experience working on a product team
- You love to learn about technology
Send us your writing portfolio, plus a resume or Linkedin link. We’d especially like to see examples of short and long form copy that had a specific goal, and the metrics that you used to measure its success. This could be as simple as a social posting that got lots of attention! And please, send us a cover letter that shows us what you can do.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.