Controller (Seattle, full-time)
Glowforge is a desktop laser that carves and engraves beautiful products from raw materials like wood, leather, paper – even chocolate.
If you haven’t already, check out our video on glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll notice something amazing: Glowforge is the largest crowdfunding campaign in history. There is incredible demand for what we’re creating. It’s not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we’re crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity.
Why we need you
At the start of our crowdfunding campaign, we were a tiny startup with an interesting idea. 30 days and almost $30M later, we were at the forefront of a massive, undiscovered market opportunity with unprecedented demand and excitement.
Tens of thousands of customers have entrusted us with tens of millions of dollars, and we haven’t even shipped. We have explosive growth ahead, but it must be thoughtful and anchored in financial realities. You are the person we need to provide both a sound base and forward guidance to building out our company and our business to its massive potential.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
As the company’s controller, you will first and foremost watch where we make and spend our money. You’ll ensure that we follow the highest levels of care and integrity.
In practice, that means building a thoughtful and efficient financial organization. You’ll choose the software and systems, create financial controls, and lead reporting – not just publishing dashboards but surfacing problems, challenges, and risks, along with thoughtful analysis and ultimately wise solutions.
Since you have previously recruited for a broad swath of positions in accounting and finance, you know how to build an incomparably talented team. You love growing and mentoring a smart and tight-knit group of finance professionals and will lead them to deliver on the company’s vision without neglecting the day-to-day business needs.
We are a company for people who are passionate about bringing things to life – yes, even in accounting. If you relish the challenge of growing a small company from tens of millions of dollars in pre-orders to billions in revenue, you’re going to have an amazing time at Glowforge.
- You will lead accounting, financial reporting, analysis and the preparation of the consolidated financial statements, including tax compliance
- You will help establish and maintain the proper internal financial controls
- You will hire and mentor the incomparable team that can execute on your vision
- You will monitor and optimize costs like inventory, logistics, support, and warranty
- You will coordinate large financial projects, like the annual audit, budgets and forecasts
- You will conduct financial analyses as needed, such as capital investments, pricing decisions, and production alternatives
- You will negotiate various contracts and assist in securing credit facilities
- You will proactively present financial and operating reports, offering solutions to problems and thinking forward regarding potential risk and opportunity areas
- You have a bachelor’s degree in accounting with 10 or more years of progressive accounting experience
- You have managed an accounting and finance team
- You can apply your thorough knowledge of accounting principles, practices, and procedures to solve issues that arise with skill and integrity
- You’re eager to develop a world-changing company with us!
It would be nice if…
- You have a CPA
- You have prior accounting experience with a manufacturing company
- You have external auditing experience
- You have worked in a rapidly growing company
- You love making things with your hands – 3D printing, knitting, woodworking, furniture building; it doesn’t matter what.
Please send us your resume, and – more importantly – a cover letter that tells us about your interest here. We’re excited to meet you!
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.