Associate Electrical Engineer
Seattle, WA - Full-timeApply to this Job
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard. If you haven’t already, check out our video on glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll notice something amazing: Glowforge is the largest crowdfunding campaign in history.
There is an incredible demand for what we're creating. It's not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we're crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity. Our customers include consumers, digital designers, crafters, engineers, teachers, artists, and more. It's already the biggest crowdfunding campaign in history, and now that it's available at retail, the fun is really starting.
This is a full-time role in Seattle, and we are happy to help new employees relocate to this beautiful city.
Why we need you:
The Glowforge runs on electrons and we need your engineering expertise wrangling them to do the right thing. While designing a high-performance laser system is fascinatingly challenging, great care must go into making the product as simple as possible for the consumer market. There are a lot of thoughtful decisions that go into making it anticipate our customers’ every need while keeping the price accessible to as many people as possible. You are a critical component of the noble endeavor to deliver a 3d laser printer for the masses. Without you working these challenging technical puzzles as we rapidly scale our production, our company simply will not succeed.
You’ll be doing this:
- Designing analog, digital, and mixed-signal circuits.
- Laying out complex PCBs for integration into production testers.
- Prototyping ideas and quickly iterate on designs; testing and debugging in a state-of-the-art electronics lab.
- Performing root-cause analysis of field failures and subsequent design improvements.
- Generating specifications, documentation, and approved vendor lists.
- Traveling to, and working with manufacturers to support production at volume.
- Working within a multidisciplinary team to contribute, collaborate, and grow your engineering skill set.
- Supporting supply chain and manufacturing with cost down projects, via engineering changes, component validation, and documentation updates.
You have these core qualifications:
- A four year degree in electrical engineering (or equivalent experience)
- A working knowledge of electromechanical systems.
- Proficiency with electrical CAD software
- The ability to perform engineering calculations to drive design decisions.
- You have designed circuit boards or test fixtures assemblies for electronics
- Familiarity with modern test equipment like high-speed oscilloscopes, and digital signal analyzers.
These aren’t required, but you’d get bonus points if:
- You have a very high level of proficiency in Altium Designer for schematic capture and multi-layer PCB design.
- You have brought designs through certification and compliance testing, and have RF experience.
- You have worked with contract manufacturers, component vendors, and fabrication houses to bring your designs to life.
- You have solid modeling experience and can integrate mechanical constraints into your designs.
- You’ve worked with single-board Linux computers like the Raspberry Pi and are fluent in Python.
Send us a resume or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. If a resume isn’t handy, a Linkedin profile or personal projects website are great as well. Please share with us a note about your interest in us. We look forward to hearing from you!
There's one more, very important thing. We are an equal opportunity employer. We search for amazing people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We take care of each other to create an inclusive work environment where we love to come to work every day. We'd be happy to provide reasonable accommodations to help you apply - just email us at email@example.com.We hope you can join us.