Recently got a new phone, and didn’t want the same kind of case I had before, so my previous car-holder was no longer viable… plus it kept popping out of the CD player (the mount friction fit into the CD slot and used a magnet to attach to a piece of metal between the case and my phone… and it’s wearing out anyway).
I revived an old design I made using my 3D printer… which worked ok, but melted in the hot CA sun.
So I made it a little more simple and voila! I have a Mini, which has these rails in the center console, so I made the holder to sit on the rail, just in front of the shifter. I do have to make a minor revision and shift the front cross-bar back to allow the cable clearance from the bottom. Also, I might need to add something so that the phone can’t shift side-to-side. Not sure exactly what I’ll do for that, but it’ll be simple. Other than that I am happy with it.
It took maybe an hour to adjust the design, less than 10 minutes to cut. All friction fit.
Ok. 30 minutes this morning to shift the tabs to allow the cord to fit in front of the cross-bar. Then I made a shiftable crossbar to hold the phone from shifting side-to-side. It has two sets of notches and I can set it for portrait or landscape.