If you’ve joined me for this post, it means you probably are too! My first foray into Glowforge glory was a gentle modification of a brilliant cryptex by @m_raynsford. I decided to pursue another design that requires less material.
I’ve attached a cleaned up .SVG for those of you that would like to make your own! Build stages and tips:
Cut out pieces. Took about 5 minutes. I killed the parametric curve on the top piece to save time - I didn’t anticipate my first draft turning out as a working product ha!
Careful application of superglue and clamps. I highly recommend sanding down the gears to about 3.1mm/layer so they will turn freely.
The sliding solution “drawer” should also be vigorously slimmed so it can slide easily. Last thing you want is someone with the right combo getting thrown off by a friction-locked key!
Add the end cap and ruin the whole point of the gears in the 3rd layer… I added them so I could later change the combo, but with the end cap glued on that’s no longer possible. I’m brainstorming how to fix this, and welcome your input.
I did not sand my gears prior to assembly, so I finished the piece with a liberal application of WD-40.
Disk Lock.zip (10.7 KB)