Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses lasers to carve and engrave gorgeous products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard.
If you haven’t already, check out our video on glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll see something amazing: this project is one of the most funded preorder campaigns of all time. People love what we’re creating and can’t wait to get it.
Our founders are three builders from different backgrounds (hardware, software, design) who’ve each turned products into multimillion-dollar businesses. We’ve got a full electronics lab, machine shop, and makerspace, with 3D printers, sewing machines, optical benches, scrapbook cutters, and a 7-ton CNC vertical mill. This is a company for people who are passionate about creating things. If that’s you, we’re going to have a lot of fun together.
Why we need you
One of the unusual things about the Glowforge architecture is that we moved many of the hard engineering problems from hardware to software. Our cloud service does the heavy lifting for features like alignment and autofocus. It also makes it intuitive to diagram, draw, or doodle your invention and print it directly to wood, acrylic, fabric, leather, or paper. This ability to directly manipulate material and design elements via software is a natural fit for a smartphone or tablet.
Our team is composed of software generalists and we expect you to be one too, but we particularly want your passion and thoughtfulness around Android app development. While you’ll do lots of things here, you’ll be asked to tackle some of our most challenging mobile innovations, and will spread your knowledge and experience through an organization that is eager to learn.
We are pushing the envelope on human-computer interaction models for fabrication devices, and we need your help to make this the best possible user experience for our customers. So there’s a lot for you to work on: you’ll be building the native Android implementation of our print, design, and catalog software.
While this role is written for someone with a four-year degree and several years of industry experience, if you’re great at what you do and excited about what we do, we want to talk to you — whether you’re brand new to the industry or you’ve been a veteran architect for decades.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
- First and foremost, performing any task that helps us create an amazing product for our customers — which will include stretching your coding skills in new directions and pitching in when your colleagues need help.
- Collaborating daily with designers, including our head of product, in-house UI designers, and our customers (many of whom are designers themselves).
- Creating novel and intuitive mobile experiences that enable Glowforge’s amazing capabilities
- Iterating tirelessly on those designs based on user feedback and not being afraid to kill your darlings.
- Massaging the latest Android technologies into a buttery-smooth implementation of our product vision.
- Participating in planning sessions with the whole product team and helping build the user stories, requirements, and specifications that will drive development.
- Building the software to fabricate the future – not just another CRUD app.
You need these qualifications
- You write copious amounts of thoughtful, high-quality code.
- You’ve been responsible for shipping an Android app that people love.
- You’re excited about being personally responsible for making Glowforge successful, and you’re comfortable navigating ambiguity that arises in a startup environment, adjusting to changing priorities, and moving confidently even when guidance is limited.
- You’re thoughtful about human-computer interfaces, responsive design, and applying software engineering principles to Android software.
- You’re passionate about writing great software… and still know that you sometimes have to make some tradeoffs to ship quickly.
It would be nice if…
- You have a solid understanding of concurrency, threading, and interacting with RESTful web services using JSON.
- You have graphics experience using the Android Canvas APII.
- You have experience working with websockets and/or socket.io in Android
- You’ve worked on an iOS application as well.
Please send us your resume, plus something so we can get a sense of your work. For example, we’d love to see your Github account or links to projects you’ve worked on.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.