Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses lasers to carve and engrave beautiful products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard.
If you haven’t already, check out our video on glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll see something amazing: this project is one of the most funded preorder campaigns of all time. People love what we’re creating and can’t wait to get it.
Our founders are three builders from different backgrounds (hardware, software, design) who’ve each turned products into multimillion-dollar businesses. We’ve got a full electronics lab, machine shop, and makerspace, with 3D printers, sewing machines, optical benches, scrapbook cutters, and a 7-ton CNC vertical mill. This is a company for people who are passionate about creating things. If that’s you, we’re going to have a lot together.
Why we need you
You saw the video, right? So you know our little secret: we’re not selling a 3D laser printer. We’re inspiring people with what a Glowforge can create. People aren’t buying 50 pounds of plastic, glass, metal, and lasers. They’re buying the ability to print beautiful, useful, inspiring, practical, unique, everyday things.
You are everything to our mission: you are the one who is going to bring our product to life. Without you, it’s just a printer.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
Remember all the crazy stuff from the video – the leather satchel, the cardboard globe, the laser sushi? You’ll be dreaming up ideas like that and figuring out how to make them. You’ll also be taking projects we sketch up (“What if we put rubberband gattling guns on a drone?) and turning them into foolproof plans that anyone can print for themselves.
Not every Glowforge owner has your vision, your talent, your empathy for products, and your sense of style. Those that do have no idea how to apply them to this new medium.
You’re going to stretch the limits of this new tool to give them the inspiration, designs, templates, and palettes so they can print beautiful things.
You’re going to spend your days creating a wide variety of beautiful objects in 2D and 3D. These objects will be used to show off the capabilities of a Glowforge, in everything from the news (we’ve had Glowforge prints in the New York Times to the Wall Street Journal) to our catalog of designs that Glowforge owners can make for themselves. This means you’re 90% product designer and 10% artist: you create things that people will find useful, delightful, practical, and beautiful.
- You’ll be working in Adobe Illustrator, CAD, and Photoshop every day
- You’ll be sketching, iterating, and designing using whatever tools are best suited for the job – pen, software, paper and scissors, or whatever else gets the job done
- You’ll emulate an immense range of styles, from Frank Lloyd Wright to Hallmark
- You’ll design and print practical things for our office, like signs and decor
- You’ll be discovering novel laser techniques and styles from our customers, other designers, and your own imagination
- You’ll create beautiful step-by-step how-to guides for some of your products
- You’ll be using the latest prototype Glowforges every day to create the things you design… with laser beams!
You need these qualifications
- You have a stunning portfolio of things that you’ve created that demonstrates 2D and/or 3D talents
- You are really talented with Adobe Illustrator and at least one CAD program (it’s okay if you’re more talented with one or the other)
- You are a tremendous visual designer – you have an eye for color, typography, and composition
- You are quick and efficient. You pride yourself on your speed as much as the beauty and practicality of what you make.
It would be nice if…
- You have some experience using laser cutters/engravers
- You have some sort of design degree
- You’re smart about social media (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook)
To apply, the absolutely most important thing is a portfolio. If you don’t have one, just send us a handful of photos of the things you’ve created that you’re most proud of. Include a resume or your LinkedIn profile if you have one handy and current.
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.